Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mejorando

I am not even close to fluent, but I feel like my Spanish has improved a lot since I moved. One of the teachers I am living with is dating a Tico and one of my roommates is from Costa Rica, so when we are all together we only speak in Spanish even though it is four gringos and two costariccenses. Finally some practice! I have also stopped being lazy and started reading the newspaper in Spanish every day to try and pick up some new vocabulary. Although half of the words in the articles are circled, (because I don't know them) I think there is still some hope. Since my Tuesday-Thursday morning one-on-one student often has to reschedule for Monday, Wednesday or Friday morning classes, my teaching schedule is pretty sporadic so I don't really have time to take a Spanish class. I think after a month Christmas break I am going to take a month off of teaching and travel to another country to take Spanish lessons and live with a host family. I have heard pretty good things about Guatemala schools and also a school in Grenada, Nicaragua. Let me know what you all think.

No comments: