Monday, November 24, 2008

Update

I have been semi-busy the last two weeks so I will cram all the latest happenings into one post.

I started a new class two weeks ago and they are pretty awesome. Amanda would love this class. The first day of an advanced class I basically ask the students to do a few fluency drills and talk about some of their interests to see what level they are at, what grammar they need to work on, and what type of vocabulary they are working with. Anyway most of my students talk about their hobbies, sports, family or pets.

Not this class.

The female student talked about how she hates close-mindedness and told a story about how she tried to rescue a dying dog who was laying on the highway. My male student talked about how the United States has gotten way to involved in the affairs of other countries, especially in Latin America, and how he is excited about the new President in US. Both of these reponses were unprovoked, so I was amazed at the creativity and fluency they were able to speak with. I was not expecting these types of responses at all, but they are very good speakers and could express themselves very well in English despite not taking classes for 11 months.

I don't want to sound like a whiner, but it sucks I have to work on Thanksgiving. I have three classes on Thursday from 7-8:30, 12-2, and 5:30-8, so no football or turkey for me. But we did have a nice Thanksgiving get together at the office last week. We had a pot luck lunch (I think that is the term) and it was very good. There was chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, salad, vegetables, cake and sangria. I brought soda, but since there was alcohol and a room full of teachers mostly in our 20's, I was able to bring most of the soda back home unopened. The staff and IESA is great about organizing events like this and I will definitely miss them when I leave in December. We have one more get together on December 5th, an early Christmas celebration, and I hope it will be as fun and as crazy as the Thanksgiving celebration.

I started going back into the city on weekends to watch baseball again. Between all of the McDonald's, Taco Bell's, US tv shows, teaching English, and watching baseball, it hasn't been that much of a culture shock the past 6 months. It has been dissapointing that I haven't experienced as much of the culture as I would have liked to, but I am still trying. I try and make conversation with the locals at the baseball games and this week I had a pretty interesting time. The guy sitting next to me was pretty hilarious. He was an alcoholic and drinking casique straight from the bottle, but at least he was a happy drunk. He was yelling at the pitchers what pitch to throw, telling the hitters to take the ball to right field against the soft throwing left handed pitcher, and telling everyone to listen to him because he had played baseball for 14 years in the Nicaraguan pro leagues. We had a good laugh together making fun of one of the first baseman because he could not pick a ball to save his life. I was able to understand about 60 % of what he said, although he spoke a very drunken accented Spanish.

I am excited to see everyone for Christmas. Dissapointed that I am leaving CR when the good weather is about to begin, but excited to see the family. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and I will see you soon.

No comments: